Owl’s Hill cannot exist without the tremendous support of over 575 volunteers each year. Our devoted volunteers play an essential role in fulfilling our Mission here at Owl's Hill Nature Sanctuary.
We have a dedicated full-time and part-time staff, but we are fortunate to have a strong, active volunteer staff serving in many capacities from office work to trail guides or at special events. You can volunteer once a week, once a month or once a year. We will help you find the perfect opportunity that matches your time and talents.
- Share and inspire others with your love of nature
- Enhance your knowledge of nature history and hone your public speaking skills
- Have fun while making the world a better place
- Meet others with common interests
Volunteers must meet/complete the following requirements:
- Complete volunteer application & training
- Possess good people skills
- Provide own transportation
"Where can I help?"
- Trail Guides: trail guides lead pre-developed interpretative hikes for school children and visitors of all ages on guided hikes on Free Hike Days or other events.
- Gardeners, Weed Warriors: Help maintain various flower gardens; remove invasive plant species and weeds. Help build or rebuild trails.
- Administrative - General Office: assist in the office with data entry, answering the phone, filing and staff project support.
- Special Events: Assist with organizing and on-site assistance with events like Owl's Day, Enchanted Forest, Fairyland and Birthday parties
- Group Projects: Have a group of 10 or more? We can coordinate projects for your group - forest stewardship, cleanup projects, invasive species removal - you can make a difference in the community.
"How do I Apply?"
"Are there general volunteer days coming up?"
"What if I am a teenager? Are there opportunities to volunteer?"
Summer Camp Counselor-In-Training (CIT)
The Counselor in Training (CIT) Volunteer Program is designed for young people age 12 to high school seniors who want to experience interactions with nature and enjoy learning and teaching others about the natural world. This non-paid program will help CIT’s gain valuable volunteer experience by assisting Summer Camp Counselors monitor groups of children, lead craft activities, assist with set-up and clean-up, supervise games, and help with other fun camp activities.
Attributes of a Great CIT Volunteer
- Exhibits a strong desire to learn and teach others about the natural world
- Enjoys working with children ages 5 to 12
- Friendly, outgoing, dependable, and courteous
- Excellent listener and able to follow instructions
- Comfortable working outdoors in a family-friendly environment
- Energetic and ready to have fun!
- 12 to 17 years of age before or on June 1, 2018
A Message for Parents/Guardians
- The CIT volunteer program is a wonderful opportunity for your teen to develop leadership skills and learn about wildlife careers and in an interactive, hands-on environment. Your cooperation, support and encouragement are essential to the success of your teen.
- Reliable transportation to and from Owl’s Hill is vital for punctual arrival.
- CIT schedules will be determined by a combination of expressed interest on application and the needs of Owl Hill’s staff. Our goal is for CIT’s to be busy and engaged in learning!
- CIT application and signed waiver
- Provide two letters of recommendation
- Essay describing why you want to volunteer at Owl’s Hill and what you hope to gain
- If selected attend interview
- Attend CIT Orientation & Training
*May 26th 9-12pm*
- Pay $25 fee that covers orientation and training materials, name badge, daily snack and Friday lunch.
- Fees are due on orientation day, May 26, 2018. Cash or a check made out to Owl’s Hill.
- Volunteer a minimum of one full week but may choose to volunteer for as many as four weeks
- Camp week commitments are Monday –Friday 8:00 am – 3:30 pm
- Volunteer Camp Aftercare Monday--Friday 3:30 pm--5:00 pm
- Summer camp dates June 4-29 & July 9-27, 2018
Send completed information to:
545 Beech Creek Rd S.
Brentwood, TN 37027
Attn: Director of Education